By Mohammed Almathil
Allow me to share with you some simple, brief, and actionable tips that can make a difference in increasing your meeting effectiveness and in maximizing your time and productivity. Moving forward, please consider the following 10×3 tips before, during and after a meeting. Even if you are just participating in a meeting, you can proactively and politely recommend these tips to the meeting leader and facilitator.
- Is it critical that we even hold a meeting or would an email suffice?
- Is this meeting one of our most valuable activities as a team or is there something else we can focus on?
- Do we have all the information that we need for the meeting?
- Who is leading and facilitating the meeting?
- Who should attend the meeting and what are their roles?
- When and where will it take place? Will it be a physical or virtual meeting?
- What is the agenda for the meeting and who will be sending it?
- What results will the team accomplish and benefit from the meeting?
- What ground rules and guidelines must we all follow during the meeting?
- Who, when, and how are we inviting members to attend the meeting?
- Arrive early and ensure proper setup of meeting room/call.
- Greet and welcome attendees.
- Start exactly on time no matter what!
- Remind the team about the purpose, agenda, and ground rules.
- Budget and enforce the time well.
- Eliminate distractions and stay focused on the agenda.
- Give everyone a voice and stop any side conversations.
- Ensure that the objective of the meeting has been met.
- Take meeting minutes and document action items.
- Review action items and end on time or even earlier than scheduled if possible!
- Send the meeting minutes promptly (within 24 hours).
- Complete your own action items.
- Update others on your progress.
- Follow up with others on their action items.
- Assist others in completing their action items whenever possible.
- Train those who need additional support and guidance.
- Give and receive feedback regularly.
- Correct and discipline when necessary.
- Set a positive tone consistently.
- Remind about upcoming meetings if needed.
P.S. What are your thoughts on the tips above? You can comment below any feedback or questions, and I will do my best to respond.